MSL in-field excellence
An MSL has to be agile in the field and always deliver a top-performance. Especially when your MSL manager/director is out in the field with you. Here are some topics to focus on when you are out in the field alone or with your boss:
- Have good rapport with the KOL and listen to the KOL.
- The KOL should be doing 80-90% of the talking (this happens when you ask the right questions)
- Be an SEM (subject matter expert).
- Know your drug/company’s clinical (trial) data inside out, in addition to the SOC (standard of care), guidelines and competitor data.
- Have a clear meeting objective
- Have a list of in-field insight questions (in your head/notepad) that you need to obtain answers to for the internal (medical) stakeholders
- Generate call-back opportunities
- This could be follow up papers, follow up on drug safety event, literature search, IIS discussion, clinical trial read out, speaker tour, adboard involvement etc.
- Always “ do the right thing”
- Compliance is essential as an MSL and you have to be compliant with your country’s and company’s code of conduct/ethics. Make sure you regularly review the code of conduct/ethics to keep it fresh. And deal with off-label situations appropriately
Do you want to become a master in soft skills to get the most out of your KOL meetings? Then join our "MSL & Medical Advisor soft skills" training program.
Join our FREE MSL webinar to learn "How to become an MSL without having any pharma experience" and test yourself if you are suitable for the MSL career.